When the King’s Bastion was built it was the most important defensive position of the Rock’s westerly defences. Its shape was based on traditional ideas of bastion fortification: It was a large arrow headed construction which projected from the curtain wall into the sea. The land in front of the bastion was reclaimed from the sea much later, at the beginning of the 20th Century as part of the works for Gibraltar’s new dockyard, by which time the bastion had changed role. The location of the King’s bastion is significant because it commended almost the entirety of Gibraltar’s western sea defences and nearby anchorages. It housed casemates, which were ideal as barrack accomodation, so it became the ideal command post for defending the attacks of the Franco-Spanish floating batteries on the 13th September, 1782.